As my first blogpost on my fancy new website I thought I would do another edition of “For those of you who think I have it all together!” Before I jump into the mess that has been this week a little info on my new look. So, this whole mom, wife, adulting thing….it’s no joke, but, kind of it is! Though raising little humans (i.e. keeping them alive), running a household, being married and everything else that goes along with life I feel like sometimes we can take it a little too seriously. I have learned over the years that if it is not life altering to take a deep breath and let go a little. In this world of Facebook, instagram, pinterest perfection I’d love for this blog to be a little dose of reality. I don’t know where some of those people are living, where they hide their maid and how they keep their children so coiffured, because most days I feel like I am the conductor of the hot mess express. I think if we can relax a little and enjoy the craziness with A LOT less judgement we may just be a bit more joyful. I, by no means have this all figured out, but my hope in this new format for my blog is that I can be available to help other moms who may be just starting out on this crazy journey, or maybe moms who have been doing this for a while but just want to feel like their crazy is maybe, just maybe “normal.”
I also hope that through this blog I can offer some encouragement on how I run a houseful of kids. I grew up in a large family, most of my friends were a part of a large family and I now have a large family. Due to all of this, I have been blessed to learn a few tricks of the trade. I’d love to be able to encourage anyone who needs to be encouraged (or needs someone to commiserate with) on how to do this mom thing. AGAIN, I am no expert, but my mom used to say that her hope was that I would be farther “ahead of the game” than she was when she became an adult so, when my children are adults they will be even farther ahead of the game than I was and that’s how we make world changers.That is what I want above all else, for my children to be so well equipped when they are adults that they make a difference in others lives. So, that is my hope with this blog….to support other moms in this raising humans business!
Onto what you are all really waiting for…the second edition of “for those of you who think I have it all together!”
So, where to start……
- I was informed this week that Cole, during BIBLE school, was flipping a bird while singing praise songs! In his defense the poor homeschooler truly had no idea what he was doing (he does now!), but still, come on!!!
- I was at swimming lessons and backed into my best friends car. I have nothing in my defense….I just needed a nap.
- My boys made a poison death potion. How sweet you say, they were playing outside using their imagination…..it included their pee.
- I gave Rose a baby food pouch in her car seat the other day because, I mean, who has time to feed their baby in a high chair. I guess she felt like she needed to exfoliate her skin with the chia seeds in said babyhood because I went to get her out of the car seat and she had it ALL OVER HER! Like the bottom of her feet and behind her ears. (When my children make giant messes like this all I can think is that they surely hate me.)
- I wanted to give my kids an opportunity to earn some money and maybe eliminate a chore of mine, so I had them shred documents with my fancy 30 dollar paper shredder from amazon. Picture the seen from Frozen when Elsa freezes everything and it’s just snow, but in our case it was actually white shredded paper EVERYWHERE! (Again, surely they hate me!)
- We went to the picture perfect dinner on the beach to say goodbye to Abby (my sister who was staying with us for 5 weeks before she left to officially adult). The kids could frolic in the waves in their cute gymboree bathing suits while we drank cocktails and ate delicious food. In all reality I forgot I diaper for Rose (both swim and regular) so we figured we’d just let her play with just her suit on. Epic mistake. She pooped, like adult size turd in her bathing suit. I tried to nonchalantly dump said turd in the sand and bury it without anyone noticing, problem was I had to rinse her. So I took the naked baby down to the ocean and cleaned the caked on poop off her bum and carried her back to the table, but naked, only to discover that I also forgot a diaper. Luckily we hadn’t thrown the pee soaked diaper away so problem solved. #FAIL
- We had a sweet, 4 year old, friend staying with us last weekend. Poor girl came in after playing all day, sat next to me and said “I don’t feel so good.” Now, I know how my kids do sick, I did not know how this sweet baby did sick. I said, where does it hurt. She didn’t know, so I figured she was just tired from our busy day. Um no, she sat up, said something and mid syllable pukes all over the rug. In true kid pukage the wood floor was about 3 inches away, but the rug was the best place for the spewage.
- The morning I went skydiving I was so tired from helping said sweet puker that I forgot to pack (or stop to get) any food for the kids. We brought the kids for the first go round (we got all the way up in the plane and then it started raining so we had to head back down and try again that afternoon). In my Pinterest reality I imagined that my children would watch me jump out of a plane and plummet to the earth and think I was the coolest mom ever (in hindsight I see how that could have gone horribly wrong). So, since all children were starving, but we were super far from any kind of food I may have fed them stale kitkat bars that were on the counter of the skydive place.
So there you have it friends! A day in the life…..I hope you feel better about your parenting this week!